Saturday, January 31, 2015

the rings on Saturn

The prints on my hands wind around like the rings of saturn
and when I found out the earth didn't have rings, I said explain this.
we go in endless circles in hopes that the next turn will be more enjoyable
this last rotation didn't feel right and like the speed dating in college you want to just settle down
take a breather and press on
The rings tight on people's fingers committing themselves to another set of turns
and the more turns I take the sicker I get.
The nausea is setting in and when I roll off the bed in the morning
I look at the ceiling that circles my head until it's still.
we're turning guys we're turning and when you think about that corner
you prepare for a refresher
the restart on your phone
the blank page in your journal
this new year calendar
and the new house you're supposed to call home
the vultures in the sky hoover around a helpless mammal
and the sharks around a sinking boat
the circles capture us
the life, the death, and nearly everything in between
so please, explain to me how the earth doesn't have rings.

2 comments:

  1. Yes. I love this. The opening line was killer

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great Abby. I love the list of refreshers. I connected.

    ReplyDelete

___________

___________

Quotes

  • "I wanna live a little more"-Jane Doe
  • "It may seem odd to think of having a relationship with ourselves, but we do. Some people can't get along with themselves. They criticize and belittle themselves all day long unitl they begin to hate themselves. May I suggest that you reduce the rush and take a little extra time to get to know yourself better" -Dieter F. Uctdorf